Stop 7 – Blacksmith Shop, Commissary, and Fire Pit

This complex of buildings contains the blacksmith shop and the commissary building. The blacksmith shop, the building closest to the main farmhouse, was built by William Donaldson around 1870. Originally used as a blacksmith shop for William Donaldson’s blacksmithing business, this building has been used as a tool shed, woodshed, and workshop over the years by the various owners of the farm. Today it is used as storage space for the Dunwoody Preservation Trust.

While the Commissary, the building further away from the main farmhouse, was added onto the property by Lois Pattillo Bannister. Little is known about the building’s early use. We can deduce from the Commissary name that it was some type of shop for supplies and provisions. Likely used to service the servant staff during the Bannisters’ time on the property and or used to sell farm supplies to local farmers. From then on it was mostly used for storage by the various property owners. Though, some of the children from the Smith family used the building as a playhouse setting up their model trains inside. Today it is also used as storage space.

Across from this complex of buildings is the round fire pit.  When the Donaldson family lived here, this area was occupied by a smokehouse and a corn crib.