The Donaldson-Bannister Farmhouse is one of the oldest standing structures within the city of Dunwoody. The farmhouse was built in 1870 by Martha and William Donaldson. The couple purchased the land from Martha’s father shortly after their wedding. Originally, the farmhouse was a two-story plantation plain-style farmhouse with a central hall. They also had a barn along with a well, a smokehouse, and a blacksmith shop. The well and the blacksmith shop are still on the property today.
Along with farming and raising livestock, William worked as a blacksmith to help pay the family’s bills. However, in 1900 William passed away at the age of 74. The farm, however, continued to operate under the leadership of Martha and with the help of her six children.
After William’s death, one of those children, Will Donaldson, who had married and started a family of his own, moved back to the farm with his wife, Nellie along with their own children. The farm was full of life and a homestead for the Donaldson family during these years until in 1931 when Martha passed away.
After Martha’s passing, the Donaldson family decided to break up the land into 26-acre lots and sell the farm. After the sale, Will and Nellie Donaldson were able to buy some acreage along what is now Vermack Drive. There they built a home and raised their 7 children.